Established in 1847 by Louis-Francois Cartier, this Parisian brand originally began producing fine jewellery. However, Cartier soon proved himself talented in the art of watchmaking. His first point of expansion focussed on the creation of luxury pendulum clocks, and later he went on to popularise wrist watches. By 1907, Cartier had established branches in London, New York and St Petersburg, and had also signed a contract with Edmond Jaeger who agreed to exclusively supply the movements for Cartier watches. In addition to the original workshop in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Cartier has since established workshops in Geneva, which allow for number of new movements to be certified with the prestigious Geneva Seal.